[78-L] Record Pricing Guides: not a new story

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Aug 25 20:42:22 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
> Found this while doing research:
>
> "Let us consider the several record price guides. The extraordinary
> ambition of such guides is nothing less than to be accepted as a final
> authority on the value of out-of-print jazz records. <snip>

The "price" of a 78rpm record is set by the intersection of two factors:

1) The least the seller hopes/expects to receive for the disc...

and...

2) The most the purchaser will relinquish in exchange for it...?!

Whenever #2 equals or exceeds #1, the record will be sold!

Note that VERY rarely will an "official price guide" or "official
catalog" be involved in the transaction...?!

Over the last few years, I have purchased several large lots of used
78's...for prices ranging from ten cents each down to "You want 'em?
Take 'em!" Eventually, IF I continue living, I'll have the necessary
funds to buy individual 78's at more suitable prices; however, when
I run across CHEAP batches of 78's, I'll happily purchase thereof!

When I first started selling my Dating Guide, I must have received
several hundred inquiries as to how it could be used to figure out
record PRICES...?!

This all goes back to the collecting of coins and stamps...both of which
have standard catalogs/price guides to set sales values (and they are the
ONLY collecting hobbies which have such...?!). The basic question here
is: "Are you collecting RECORDS...or MONEY?!"

Steven C. Barr