[78-L] Speaking of portable equipment/cutter back in 1940?

Milan P Milovanovic milanpmilovanovic4 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 16:40:21 PDT 2009

Dear list members,

about 3 years ago, I've heard interesting story about Norman Chalfin, who
recorded sound for Hurston Beaufort expedition. Norman Chalfin was "audio
technician who had accompanied Hurston and Belo to South Carolina to record
the music, religion and language of a people before their heritage and
culture were lost to history".

Also, he recorded one night club appearance of great Lester Young, in
December 29, 1940.

All those information I found here:
http://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/0605/young.html

Now, my question is: what, way back then 1940. was portable equipment? Were
those cutter machines/lathes designed for 16" blank inserts? "Audiodisc"
sample as shown on photograph - was it amateurish or pro? If it was
professional disc, how come that it was used on portable equipment?

Judging from what can be heard from Lester Young clip (here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5344114), it is so well
recorded with rather clear frequency response down to the lowest register
(bass drum) and way up in highest sounds of cymbals and hi-hat.

Thank you,

Milan Milovanovic