[78-L] First non-US "In A Mist"

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Aug 21 07:31:20 PDT 2009

I was recently fortunate to buy a copy of Argentine Odeon 45677 "En La
Neblina" (In A Mist) by pianist Manuel Salsamendi.

My limited research on line seems to indicate that this 1935 version was the
first issued non-US recording of Bix's famous composition.

A Mr. Albert Haim,  who some of you may know,  has posted a scan of the
label and a download of the record itself,  in case you want to hear it.  He
states that it was the fifth recorded version of the tune,  after Bix,
Trumbauer,  Norvo and Lillian Crawford (I'm still kicking myself for not
winning a copy of that last one a couple years ago).

He also indicates that the pianist was from Uruguay,  and that he was a
well-known organist who was making classical recordings as late as the 60s.

http://bixography.com/inamistsalsamendi.ram

The other side of the record is "Tengo Ritmo" which is a very interesting
series of variations on I Got Rhythm.

My apoligies if this is all old news,  but it was new news to me,  and damn
interesting as well.

Taylor