[78-L] Arabic Victors

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Aug 20 23:22:44 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Hutten" <rob at hutten.org>
> I have four ethnic batwing Victors - 63047, 63802, and 63809 are
> "Arabian" according to their labels while 69194 is Syrian.  All have
> romanized titles as well as Arabic script - details and hi-res label
> scans can be found here:
>   http://www.hutten.org/rob/78s/index.php?search=arabic
> A couple questions:
>
> - The matrix (or take?) numbers for 63809 are "7850b" and "7850 1/2
> b".  It's the only record in my small collection with fractional
> numbers in the run-off.  Why wouldn't they have just used successive
> numbers?

This is NOT unusual with non-US matrix numbers! The letters often
indicate the "recording expert" in charge of the session; often the "1/2"
matrix numbers cover an inadvertant error in numbering...so if it was
later discovered that a recording had been "missed" in numbering the
results of a session, that recording received a fraction-ed matrix
number...!

> - The store labels on a couple of the records indicate they were
> imported to Boston. I assume these records make a round trip across
> the ocean, rather than having been pressed overseas?

I would guess the "Imported" stickers were used to convince buyers the
records (rather than the recordings) were originals from whatever country
the music came from; it would have been too complicated to explain that
the STAMPERS rather than the records had been imported...?!

Steven C. Barr