[78-L] An interesting phonorecord,,,?!

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Mon Aug 17 13:21:58 PDT 2009

I have label images of Chinese Victors from several series.
They are from different periods and occur with different label types.
The series mentioned by Mal is scroll Victor, from "RCA Victor Co. of China / Shanghai"
or "Victor Talking Machine Co. / China Division".
Purple or black label; text completely or mainly in Chinese.
The range of 4 images is 54229 - 54736.
There is also a 56000 series.

Chinese issues (scroll) of the normal U.S. popular series are known to me in the range
22638-25272. Earlier ones with text in English only; later ones with the title(?) also in
large Chinese characters. They include Vallee, Duchin, Sosnik, Tom Coakley, Fats Waller,
Goodman, Lombardo.

Han Enderman
===
>>> It's always intrigued me how these Shanghai Victors got to the
US/Canada. Surely they were not made for export but internal consumption
within English speaking China?
I've had a little contact with these records. Some of the rarest
recordings by Tau Moe were made for Shanghai Victor c. June 1934. The
two that I know of are Vi 54769 and an unknown 2nd in the same series.

Aloha Means I Love You b/w Ua Like No A Like - Vi 54769
There's Nothing Else To Do In Malamokalu b/w Samoan Moon - Vi 54???

I believe Bob Brozman has both but he's not releasing any info about them. The first

one showed up on eBay a few years back and BB paid a
premium price for it!
As to the two questions:
#1: I doubt it
#2: I don't know
I also don't know how high the series went, numerically. Possibly it
stayed within the 54700 - 54799 range if they were recorded in Shanghai
(I'm 95% positive that both the Tau Moe recordings were taken there
because Moe's touring itinerary supports this).
Mal

*******

Julian Vein wrote:
> Steven C. Barr wrote:
>
>> Going through a milk box containing all Victor records...and found this?!
>>
>> It is a copy of Victor 24678 (two Whiteman sides)...whose manufacturer
>> credit is "Victor Recording Company of China" (IIRC) in Shanghai! Virtually
>> ALL the text on the labels is in English...suggesting it was marketed to
>> English-speaking "round-eyed devils" back in 1934, when it was current...?!
>>
>> So...(1) did this subsidiary operation issue ALL the current Victor records
>> as they were issued in the US Of A...or just records expected to sell to
>> what would seem to be an "emigre" English-speaking audience?
>>
>> And, (2)...did Victor's Chinese operation ever record and issue Chinese
>> artists...?!
>>
>> Steven C. Barr
>>
> I have Victor 25191, Tommy Dorsey: "Alone" & "Two Hears Carved On A
> Lonesome Pine".
>
> Mine says "RCA Victor Co. of China, Shanghai." The label is purple.
> Apart from the titles the text is in English.
>
> Julian Vein
<<<