[78-L] Rhythmic "sprituals" of the early 1930s

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Sat Aug 15 09:53:52 PDT 2009

>  Without going off on a tangent, can anyone supply me with further
> examples of pop songs using the spiritual form?
>
>Cary Ginell

Alex Hill wrote a number of these in addition to On Revival Day:

Let's Have a Jubilee, recorded by Alex Hill and Louis Prima
Shout, Sister, Shout, recorded by Clarence Williams and The Boswell Sisters
Keep a Song in Your Soul, recorded by many including Jack Teagarden
and Bojangles

Dancing the Devil Away, written by Bert Kalmar, Otto Harbach and
Harry Ruby in 1927, may also be one of these. The Arden-Ohman
orchestra recorded it in 1930.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/