[78-L] Unknown Top-Tunes label

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 15 09:12:48 PDT 2009

Han,

This is indeed the same concern as the maroon "Top Tunes" label, though this is a different -- earlier -- series. The same company was responsible for the Big 4 Hits and Gateway (Cincinnati) label as well. I'm not sure who was behind these concerns; Steve Barr once usefully recalled that the country items released on the Big 4 Hits label was advertised on WCKY Cincinnati. These records were pressed by King, Queen City Records (later Rite Records) and QCA as client jobs, so none of those companies actually produced them.

Despite the name "Jimmy Williams" this record would have been made by a local singer named Delbart Barker, who was very good. I've heard his version of "I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive" and it's excellent, albeit an imitation of Hank Williams.

Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com