[78-L] Rhythmic "sprituals" of the early 1930s

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Fri Aug 14 14:55:02 PDT 2009

All good stuff. Thanks to everyone who mentioned songs. I'm surprised nobody cited an article somewhere about the trend of rhythmic spirituals in the late '20s and early '30s. Anyone know of one? I'm wondering how much it had to do with the Depression in an attempt to "revive" Americans' flagging spirits with the hope and fervor inherent in revivalist songs.

Cary Ginell