[78-L] Rhythmic "sprituals" of the early 1930s

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Aug 14 13:39:07 PDT 2009

I'm not quite sure if they qualify,  but certainly some of Willard Robison's
compositions have a sort of "spiritual" air to them,  e.g. The Devil is
Afraid of Music,  and also Wake Up,  Chillun! Wake Up...both from 1928,  if
memory serves.

And now that I think of it,  there is a real spiritual quality to We'll Have
a New Home (in the Morning) also by Robison...who was one of the unsung
greats of American music.

Taylor