[78-L] Remastering

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Aug 13 19:34:30 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Royal Pemberton" <ampex354 at gmail.com>
>I remember finding a clip on YouTube of 'Ja-da' by Eddie Condon's Windy
>City
> Seven someone made, and the sound was NR'd to hell and back, bad watery
> artifacts and all.  Frying hiss from crap shellac and all, my Commodore 78
> sounds much better.

Point being that ALL of us here on 78-L have, essentially by definition,
spent
years...even DECADES...listening to 78rpm phonorecords, with no more
"noise removal" than simply turning down one's TREBLE control...?!

I have listened to 78's for over 60 years (I used to listen to my dad's 78's
as
a VERY small child!) and have developed a built-in skill of MENTALLY editing
out their surface noise; in fact, the noise-free sound of CD's seems
effectively
artificial to me...?!

Our "next step" is likely to be computer-based applications which can listen
ANY kind of sound recording...and, as it runs, calculate (using the existing
signal) exactly what was being played/sung/usw. when the sound was being
recorded...and play THAT?!

Steven C. Barr