[78-L] New member / questions

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Aug 13 09:35:26 PDT 2009

Welcome to the group Matthew.  You undoubtedly will be getting an answer
to your Gramophone Monarch question quickly (I don't have my
discographies handy right now so I can't do it.)  But I have another
question about the 1902 Columbia you have.  Are you considering the date
because of the 1902 patent notice in the shellac lead-out area?  If so,
that's the Jones patent and is on most Columbias in the black and silver
era, and also on double-sided discs if they used old masters on those
later pressings.  There are two dates to consider, the recording date
and the pressing date.  On early records, especially Columbia, not only
the matrix number but the take number is important in dating the
recording.  Label format will date the pressing.

And yes, you do need to invest in reference books.  Need a list?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com