[78-L] Too late to circle the wagons

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Aug 12 19:41:06 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
<snip>
> THAT is the key.  But all too often they become the level that Steve
> Barr would prefer, shunted away as a cafeteria P.A. system, while the
> station the students used to run
<snip>
Note that my post was NOT about the station formats I PREFER...it was
about the two stations where I have (and still do) "work!" WILN was the
ISU "carrier current" station; its signal was sent via the AC power to the
dorms and campus buildings. The content had to appeal to student
listeners, without being a "clone" of available FM "rock" stations (which
is what about 90% of the audience would have preferred?!). The campus
FM station, WGLT, was all-classical; as a result it had a small but
significant non-campus audience as well (the other FM stations within
range were all rock or c&w).

The netcasting operation where I currently do a blues show is operated
by Durham College and UOIT; I have no idea how many listeners the
station has, but I DO know my blues show had a small-but-loyal
audience! And, in actual fact, it IS "shunted to a cafeteria PA system!"
However, it is also hearable via the Internet. I actually don't know if
either Durham College or UOIT offer any "broadcasting" courses;
I know ISU did!

Left to my own "druthers," I'd webcast my 55,057(+/-) 78's...?!

Steven C. Barr