[78-L] Too late to circle the wagons

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Aug 12 14:25:22 PDT 2009

There are a lot of NPR stations that are doing this. I have a feeling that NPR is strong-arming stations into playing more of their programming and threatening to pull their affiliation if stations do not do so. This happened with KCLU in Thousand Oaks, which was a jazz station when I started with them in 1994. Little by little, NPR programs took over the airwaves until virtually no live local programming was left. It is now 90% network news, NPR's special interest game shows, and local talk with only a few scattered hours of jazz left. Some programs, such as Prairie Home Companion and Car Talk are played TWICE weekly.

Cary Ginell