[78-L] Too late to circle the wagons

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Aug 11 23:09:00 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "simmonssomer" <simmonssomer at comcast.net>
> Well, what about letting  these college age schmoozers-in-training learn
> their trade on a closed circuit.
> Then I won't have to waste my time listening to a bunch of  lazy minded
> ,misfit students misinform me on a mind numbing amount of musical matters.
> Let them   narrowcast on their cafeteria speakers.
> They'll look back with pleasure on their radio experience once they've
> graduated and become bankers, attorneys, venture capital interns, or in
> more
> cases salesmen and MacDonald managers.

This seems (to me) to be one of those courses where somebody in the field
of education realized "Hey, we can offer a degree in "how to be a disk
jockey!" and get more PAYING students?!" I was always amazed by the
number of university students who were simply trying to get "A DEGREE"
in something, while also trying to avoid actually "LEARNING ANYTHING!"
I used to amaze my instructors, by actually being interested in the courses
I was taking and trying to learn stuff while there...?!

I assume, based on watching current society, that 21st century students
are even MORE successful at avoiding actual lrarning...the whole point
of university/college is getting that DEGREE, and then getting some sort
of  "respectable" upper-level position...?! Even if factories still existed
in
North America, most younger folks would prefer not working therein...?!

I spent about six or seven years studying to become a high-school math
teacher...and then moved to Canada, found out I would need a couple
more years in school...and finally wound up becoming a service tech in
cable tv...?! The job paid well...but I HATED it...?!

Steven C. Barr