[78-L] Too late to circle the wagons

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 11 21:10:34 PDT 2009

Michael Biel wrote:

> A 24-hour classical music
> format is the easiest, cheapest, most mindless, meaningless, and
> absolutely misguided and worthless programming format that a Public
> Radio Station could do.  Making a public station an all-ANYTHING station
> is a total waste of the resource.

The rest of your comment refers to stations affiliated with institutes of
higher learning and makes total sense, but aren't "public stations" those which
are supported by listeners and which receive some of their programming from
NPR? The stations in Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse are close to all classical
(Syracuse has some jazz, Rochester has originated some enjoyable nostalgia
programming) and none of them is mindless or meaningless. All have live program
hosts who know their music (some better than others). They also carry the Met
(when nobody else does) and Garrison Keillor and Bill McGlaughlin, they carry
no advertising, and the announcers know when to shut the **** up and play the
music (unlike what we're stuck with in Toronto).

> Speaking as a long-time broadcast
> educator, if the station is related to an educational institution -- and
> most of them are -- having a single-format station is the worst possible
> use of what could be an important teaching tool, and if that format is
> classical music, it is of no use and no interest to the students.  It
> serves a minor audience, and it makes the college's president and the
> chair of the board of regents happy -- and nobody else.  It is a format
> that provides absolutely no educational purpose in training broadcasting
> students.

CJRT evolved from a student station at Ryerson to a semi-professional operation
in the sixties, with professionals and students, carrying a wide variety of
programming..much classical, much jazz, and "Open College"..educational
programs which led to degrees, as I recall. By the 70s the students were out
but they had their own station which continues to thrive. CJRT became a leader
in classical and jazz programming, with Ted O'Reilly's nightly jazz program a
much-admired and long running feature..educational programs were still featured
as well. And The Goons and My Word. Support came from various levels of
government and the pockets of loyal listeners. A few years ago it began
accepting advertising and became JAZZFM91 (or some cute phrase like that).

We now return to our regularly scheduled rant.

dl

Of course the rap format of my daughter's college station was