[78-L] Too late to circle the wagons

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Tue Aug 11 14:36:52 PDT 2009

The New York Times has announced that they've sold WQXR-FM, their 69 year
old classical music station with 6,000 watts of FM power, sitting in the
middle of the dial at 96.3. It was peddled to a publicly funded independent
station (WNYC 93.3) which will move what will be left of WQXR  way up the
dial to 105.3FM
The powerful 96.3 frequency is being handed over to a latino music station.
At the new 105.3 location WQXR, or whatever it will be called, will boast
all of 600 watts. Hundreds of thousands of metro area suburban  listeners
will therefore lose the signal of this, the only classical station in our
New York Metro Area.
Apparently The Times needed the money. The price was in the neighborhood of
a pitiful 30 million...not as much as you'd get if you win the lottery.
The new owners implied that ESSENTIALLY the programming will be SIMILAR to
what it has been for the last 65 years, i.e. classical music.
I don't believe that  WNYC, a Public Affairs talk radio station,  will
maintain classical music programming on their new property.
They're not interested in it with their current programming on WNYC and the
lack of classical programming there bodes ill for their new little puddle
hopper.
If they stick to Classical it still won't matter.  They can't reach more
than say, twenty miles
The Times they are a-changin'.

Nothing can be done.
Follow the money!
I am cancelling my subscription to The Times.
Big deal!

Al Simmons