[78-L] Mike Seeger

Robert Shirer rshirer at neb.rr.com
Mon Aug 10 21:26:37 PDT 2009

Thanks for posting this, David.  Another great one gone.
The obituary is ok, but really: "The group did a series of recordings for
Smithsonian Folkways, a non-profit record label of the Smithsonian
Institution"  Eek.  Let us give Moe Asch his due.  The group did not record
for Smithsonian Folkways, they recorded for Folkways, which may not have
made lots of profit, but was in no way a non-profit record label.  Moe had
lots of faults, but he gave us enduring recordings of amazing people, whom
more profit oriented labels never would have taken seriously.

I never heard Mike perform, but I had a fun encounter with Peggy Seeger here
in Lincoln, Nebraska.  She came to offer a free concert at our Student
Union, and I flatter myself that I managed to get several kids from a German
conversation class to go and listen.  I wore a sweatshirt with a picture of
a black lab on it.  At her intermission, Peggy walked through the room, saw
my shirt, asked if it were my dog, and heard that it wasn't, but was a good
likeness.  She sat down, and we talked dogs for most of her intermission.  I
had brought my copy of her first album, a 10 incher on Folkways (it had
first been released on another label, which escapes my memory).  She signed
it and told me that the night before she had recorded it, she had stayed at
Josh White's apartment in Manhattan, and he had introduced her to gin.  She
said she had been hung over when she recorded it.  It is nonetheless a great
record.  And Peggy is a great musician.  So is Pete, and so was Mike.  What
a wonderful family.

Cheers,
Bob Shirer