[78-L] A moldy issue

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Aug 10 13:47:58 PDT 2009

>From a friend from the East who is having trouble with mold. Not having that problem in California, can anyone supply a cure for this malady?

Cary Ginell

Cary,

I seem to recall you saying you kept your 78s in a garage; I'm sure weather is totally different where you are, but here we've had an usually cool summer, and I just went into the basement where my discs have been safely for 4 or 5 years to find this year I have mold growing on some. It's new, and just starting, but I have no idea what to do to clean it up. Have you run into this before, and do you have any suggestions? I can search the internet, but just wondering if you personally have a good mold cleaner...I use an alcohol based solution for vinyl but don't know what is good for shellac.