[78-L] The Warner Archives Jolson DVDs - FIRST recommendation

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 10 05:09:04 PDT 2009

I've been going through the 6 DVDs which Warners has released so far of Jolson. (Mammy comes later in the year). I wanted to share a few quick thoughts. If you have the Laser Discs you don't need these - unless you want more convenient to watch. These are the films that were on the set (which I don't have). From my "sources" these are from the same prints. Like the LD version some have trailers on them. ("Wonder Bar's trailer is great and about 6 minutes long!). The only film which shows wear is "Big Boy" but it's very watchable.

I have never seen any of these films before so they are new to me. The weakest is "Say it With Songs". No upbeat #s and a REALLY schmaltzy story. I liked this the least. I still need to watch "the Singing Fool" so can't comment on that yet. But last night I watched "The Singing Kid" and this edges out "Wonder Bar" as the one I'd choose if I got just one. It's terriffic!

The most entertaining Jolson film I've seen!

>From the opening Montage of Jolson's hits to the first "I want to singa" with Jolson and Cab Calloway it moves. The "Sinners" production number with ALL BLACK cast plus Jolie in Blackface reminds me of Wonder Bar number but then they do the I Wanna Singa Reprise which must go on for 10 minutes with lots of great Yip Harburg lyrics about Jolson doing Mammy songs and when he sings the line "Mammy stay away from my door", I nearly fell off the couch laughing. Then they go into Gotta Dance, Gotta Dance and I hear Gene Kelly in my head.

The print is sharp and spotless with great sound! And - as I said - there is the trailer. If someone wants ONE of the Jolsons and wants one to re-watch. This is it!

I LOVE IT!!!

Hopefully they will package these as a set. Not sure they are available in the 5 for$50.

More later as I get through them and write my review for "In The Groove".

Steve Ramm