[78-L] Mostly for Mike Biel...(was:[ARSCLIST] Early movie music discs... "ScoreDisc")

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Aug 9 09:18:13 PDT 2009

> Subject: [78-L] Mostly for Mike Biel...
> From: Graham Newton <gn at audio-restoration.com>
> Hello Mike Biel and all ships at sea...
> We seem to be having email problems since both David Lennick
> and I sporadically receive your direct emails, so I will use
> the list for this one:- Your answer to my ScoreDisc questions
> would be greatly appreciated:-

As I mentioned off list, I had posted an answer, but I posted to where I
had originally seen the question --- on ARSCList, not the 78-L.  You
crosslisted on both lists but going back to my inbox I only see the
ARSCList version and the CC directly to me, not the 78-L crosslist.  It
isn't there, and I did not realize you crosslisted onto 78-L until I
looked at the version you had CCed to me which showed all three
addresses.  In case nobody else on the 78-L saw this the first time,
I've copied the original ARSCList posting because there is a lot of info
in it that you didn't repeat here.

To answer your question, although it seems familiar, I don't remember
ever seeing one or have any specific memory of any previous article or
writings that explain them.  I would think that it might cause problems
when the needle reaches the end of the slot which might catch the needle
repeating in the groove.  From the description in the original posting
where you worried about the paper disc grinding the record because the
paper remains stationary while the record turns under it, I don't think
there is any pressure on the paper that would make the sliding any worse
than sliding the record in and out of a sleeve a few hundred times!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com