[78-L] half track tapes

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 8 16:28:12 PDT 2009

Michael Biel wrote:
> From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> Then somebody invented butterfly heads and the CBC bought
>> Studers that had them, and all my nice tapes recorded at
>> home on the Revox or Teac had problems if they'd been bulk
>> erased because the Studers picked the WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP
>> down the center channel.
>
> You would have flunked my audio production class.  Apparently you
> haven't been taught the proper way to bulk a tape.  If you take less
> than maybe five seconds in s-l-o-w-l-y pulling the bulker away from the
> tape, you deserve the WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP.

Of course these tapes had been recorded over a 20 year period and bulked using
various erasers, some good and some ungood. I would still sell my grandmother
for a conveyor-belt bulk eraser..I still use tape on occasion.

> I demonstrated the proper and
> improper way to bulk and showed how to do it without any WHUMP WHUMP
> WHUMP and proved it every time.

This is beginning to sound like an Edgar Allen Poe tale.

> But you are off the hook because even
> beyond the fact of my retirement, I have bulked my last tape because it
> is important to keep my pacemaker away from magnetic fields like a bulk
> eraser or metal detector.

You must be a lot of fun at airports.

>> Wollensak memories: The pressure pads were always wearing out or
>> falling off, so he'd "borrow" a felt hat from my little brother
>> and trim away a little bit of the brim to make new pads. That
>> hat got pretty narrow within a couple of years.   dl
>
> Are you sure that it was not just that the kid was GROWING!!!  By the
> way, Robbins sold a packet of pre-cut press-apply pressure pad for
> something like 89 cents.

Why spend eighty-nine cents when you can cut up your kid's cowboy hat!