[78-L] Acoustic-era monitoring

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Aug 8 01:46:49 PDT 2009

The engineers eventually all learned to judge the balance by looking at
the grooves.  They could see the low and high frequencies and how strong
they were.  In fact, when electrical recording came in they were at a
loss.  They couldn't read the grooves like the used to, and they didn't
understand at first the sound balance when listening to a loudspeaker
coming from the sound source.  This was discussed in one of the
phonograph histories.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com