[78-L] Glenn Miller movie ?

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Aug 7 21:20:27 PDT 2009

One of my most favorite "records" of the Miller band is the opening song
from Orchestra Wives.."People Like You and Me."  I think it really shows off
the swinging pop sound of the band at their peak.

Question:  I have read references that McMickle dubbed the trumpet for
George Montgomery in this movie....but George's solo on this particular
number sure sounds like Billy May to me.  Note as well that May is sitting
next to Montgomery in the tpt section and looks sort of put out while George
"takes the solo."

Any thoughts on this?  Besides the music,  I think it's one of the
best-filmed movies of a swing band playing a song...the camera work is
terrific as in pans along and shows off the different sections,  the
singers,  etc. and winds up with a close-up of the recording turntable (in
the movie the band is making a record).

Taylor