[78-L] Something you don't see every day!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Aug 7 20:20:32 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> Actually there ARE Long Playing 78s (but not this one).  Obviously there
> are the Edison LPs (which ran at 80), then there are the Duriums and the
> Clarian/Columbia Longer Playing 78s from the early 30s although they are
> really only slightly longer playing.  But in 1953 when the Soviets did
> their first microgroove LPs, some of them ran at 33 and some ran at 78.
> I have several dozen of their 78 LPs, and they are significantly long
> playing.  The 8-inchers are about 10 minutes per side, and the
> 10-inchers can be about 15 minutes.  The ones at 33 are up to about 25
> minutes.

Well...Russian record companies had a few IMPORTANT advantages!

First, their customers HAD to buy from the "People's Record Company"...
none of this capitalist nonsense about "competition!"

Second, the format was whatever the Politburo had DECIDED it was!
If the official supplier of phonograph records had inadvertantly wound
up with a few thousand 78rpm phonorecords...that was easily corrected
through ONE official order!

"You vant a record?! THIS one is the one we have!

Steven C. Barr