[78-L] Something you don't see every day!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Aug 7 08:19:45 PDT 2009

Dave W wrote:
>>> 1964 RCA ZERO MOSTEL in "FIDDLER ON THE ROOF" 78 ALBUM
agp wrote:
> > Gee -- If I were a rich man ---- I'd buy this ding a ling a brain!
> > Long playing 78! What a maroon!

Actually there ARE Long Playing 78s (but not this one).  Obviously there
are the Edison LPs (which ran at 80), then there are the Duriums and the
Clarian/Columbia Longer Playing 78s from the early 30s although they are
really only slightly longer playing.  But in 1953 when the Soviets did
their first microgroove LPs, some of them ran at 33 and some ran at 78.
I have several dozen of their 78 LPs, and they are significantly long
playing.  The 8-inchers are about 10 minutes per side, and the
10-inchers can be about 15 minutes.  The ones at 33 are up to about 25
minutes.

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Collect them all! Especially this one coz he checked it out
> in the sunlight (something he probably doesn't see very often). dl

I think he's a she.  Among the other items selling are fancy shoes and
fashion accessories.  Of course it could also be a Broadway Baby.  And
there are some actual 78s listed.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com