[78-L] dubs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Aug 5 15:21:03 PDT 2009

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Not the Red Seal stuff..they'd just add a new lead-in groove and
> hope they missed the first note.

Not only the Red Seal stuff but ANY stuff.  We've discussed this before
and you keep bringing it up again.  RCA Victor routinely grafted lead
ins and new format lead outs for many, many decades.  It was EASY to do,
and was easier and faster than dubbing.

> Only really big sellers needed new masters, usually by the
> late 40s. Pop stuff got dubbed routinely..sometimes Canada
> would still have usable parts so we'd have master pressings
> long after the States went to dubs. And sometimes we'd have
> 3rd generation dubs of common recordings.   dl

But it was always a WEAR problem, never, never a lead-in lead-out
problem.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com