[78-L] dubs

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 5 14:12:40 PDT 2009

Steven C. Barr wrote:

> Didn't both US and Canadian Victor dub almost all of their earlier
> (pre-record-
> changer [machine, NOT magazine!] 78rpm sides in order to add the necessary
> run-in and run-out grooves...in the 1942-45 period?

Not the Red Seal stuff..they'd just add a new lead-in groove and hope they
missed the first note. Only really big sellers needed new masters, usually by
the late 40s. Pop stuff got dubbed routinely..sometimes Canada would still have
usable parts so we'd have master pressings long after the States went to dubs.
And sometimes we'd have 3rd generation dubs of common recordings.