[78-L] dubs

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 4 21:36:30 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 00:17 -0400, David Lennick wrote:
> Was it ever possible to process a pressed disc (shellac) and make a negative?

I'm sure it was; there was a brief period of time in which the Berliner
Gram-O-Phone Co. of Montreal was impressing a line drawing of "His
Master's Voice" lightly into the original wax for the precise purpose of
discouraging counterfeiting in this manner.

On the one hand, those records must have thumped really badly when
played...on the other hand,  the contemporary equipment probably didn't
really transmit the thumps that well.

MS