[78-L] dubs

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 4 17:26:33 PDT 2009

Michael Shoshani wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 22:08 +0000, agp wrote:
>
>> This got me to wondering -- when a recording such as those of Harry
>> Lauder were issued in the USA (or outside of the UK for that matter!)
>> contemporaneously with its domestic release, what was supplied to the
>> non-domestic record company to produce disks, such as the case would
>> be with Lauder's releases in the UK versus those in the US. Wouldn't
>> all early 'international' releases be dubs outside their home countries?
>
> No. Most of them were "grown" by the conventional plating method, and in
> very many cases the US issue will carry the UK catalog/matrix
> information in the dead wax, since the US stampers carry those indicia
> due to their UK manufacture.
>
> Michael Shoshani

Dubs became more common during WWII when shipping was more restricted. Luckily,
English masters of classical recordings remained master pressings in North
America, although there were less of them issued, leading to the signing of
more American Orchestras (Indianapolis..Dallas..yippee!). Canadian Victor
switched to dubs early in the war and never went back. Unfortunately those dubs
were bloody awful until tape came in. Columbia and Decca stayed as master
pressings up here.