[78-L] Ultrasonic cleansing of records?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Aug 4 16:45:57 PDT 2009

During the Bob Carneal era at the Library of Congress the use of
ultrasonic baths was enormous.  On our trip to the Culpepper facility I
don't remember if I saw the bath but there was a whole row of well-used
Keith-Monks machines and Graham Newton says that there were about 7 new
ones just delivered.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

 From: "Milan P Milovanovic" <milanpmilovanovic4 at gmail.com>

 Just wanted to hear is there any benefit (in terms of quality) of using

 ultrasonic baths for cleaning 78s? Some people told me that this method
has
 some advantages over usual record cleaning procedures. Any experience
with
 this? Laminated Columbias with cracked surfaces, flaking acetates,
cardboard
 core acetates or Edison Diamond discs probably are not records to clean
them
 wet, but what about other more common (shellac) records?

 Thank you,

 Milan