[78-L] covers

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Aug 3 19:00:51 PDT 2009

As I earlier noted...it was the standard practice of the record industry,
from c.1901
until around 1935, for EACH "label" (company) to issue alll...or NEARLY
all...of
the popular-song "hits" (or tunes they thought might become "hits?!").
Beginning in
1936, a new group of younger (non-adult) music/record fans emerged (we know
them as "bobby-soxers" and their male ilk...?!)...and these customers wanted
not
only a given TUNE...they wanted the "hit record" version of that tune!

At the same time, record merchandising ALSO changed. Customers had
previously
been directed to their "Victor (usw.) Dealer" to buy, say, the latest
Whiteman disc.
At some point in the late thirties (I have flyers dated 1939), "record
stores" began
to appear...they offered ALL the hits on ALL the labels, and were thus MUCH
more likely to satisfy younger record buyers!

BTW, I am STILL trying to trace this phenomenon...so if ANYONE has any
proof...for or against...of specific dates involved in the development, I
would
MUCHLY appreciate same!!

Steven C. Barr