[78-L] Weird!!!^

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Aug 3 16:20:16 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill McClung" <bmcclung at ix.netcom.com>
> My first response was "Not my problem.  I'll be gone."
>
> My second was "How many of us have a machine to play a cylinder? And when
> did they stop manufacturing those?"

The difference is that almost ALL the folks who play cyliders use original
(and
thus VERY old!) players. These were mass-produced for several decades, and
thus probably survive in numbers larger than their potential "users"...?!

It is very likely that actual 78rpm-phonorecord PLAYERS will continue to
exist
in numbers larger than the users who want/need them...?! It would, in fact,
be
interesting to know how many "78's" are already in the hands of collectors
thereof?!

The "weak point," in fact, will be finding good NEEDLES for 78-capable
players!
By this I mean needles which offer 3-mil (or around that) DIAMOND tips. I
remain
convinced that using modern (stereo-era) turntables, with their very low
tracking
pressure, simply does NOT provide really good reproduction of old 78's...to
my
ears, these modern machines reproduce a lot more shellac noise than actual
musical (etc.) content...?!

Steven C. Barr