[78-L] Covers and doodoo (was: In The Mood)

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Aug 3 06:54:43 PDT 2009

Actually, his book isn't all that bad. You can't condemn an entire book based on one ignorant use of a word that few people think about anyway (although it's a "slowly he turned" point with Biel). Looking at his bio, I see that Nimmo is no nincompoop. He is defined as a "cultural anthropologist," has published seven books, and is professor emeritus at California State University Hayward. The book is very well annotated, drawing from extensive research, unpublished letters, and interviews with family, friends, and colleagues of the sisters. Theer is a filmography and complete documentation of their radio and television appearances. Despite all this, he has a very strange way of doing discographies. He lists them as opus numbers, including for each listing, song title, orchestra leader, record label, record number, location, and date. No songwriters, no master numbers, no take info, no personnel. I would consider this a detailed listing, but certainly not a discography in the ARSC sense of the word. So he's not a record guy, but a historian who did a remarkable job on a major performing group that had not been tackled by anyone else. He even printed Down Beat's name correctly. Most people who don't know anything about jazz write it as one word. So I'll give him an A-minus for effort-with no "cover" charge.

Cary Ginell