[78-L] covers/cross-overs/doodoo-throwing (was: covers)

RAY KILCOYNE kil at roadrunner.com
Sun Aug 2 00:01:48 PDT 2009

From: "Michael Biel"
As Charles Bihun posted, these are also
> "cross-overs" as would be Tony Bennett recording Hank Williams' Cold
> Cold Heart (which Williams did NOT like!) and Whitney Houston recording
> Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You".

I think "cross-over" more specifically refers to a record that starts out as
a hit in one genre that crosses over to become a hit in another.
Examples:
Red Foley's CHATTANOOGIE SHOE SHINE BOY crossed over from Country to become
a #1 Pop hit.  Bing Crosby recorded a cover, but Foley nevertheless had a
cross-over hit.
The Platters" ONLY YOU crossed over from R&B to become a big Pop hit despite
the Hilltoppers cover.
It can go the opposite way too, more rarely but there are many examples.
STRAIGHTEN UP AND FLY RIGHT by the King Cole Trio started out as an R&B hit,
but then crossed over to become a big Pop favorite and then crossed over to
become a #1 Country hit.
RayK