[78-L] Jan Savitt and vocalists

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 1 21:40:59 PDT 2009

Gennett didn't actually fold in the early 30s..it continued as a Sound Effects
label right through the decade. I find a couple of references stating that Joe
Davis purchased Gennett's allocation of shellac in the early 40s so he may have
revived the name as a condition of gaining the supply..the SFX label may have
morphed into Speedy Q by this time anyway.

I've seen Gennett Sound Effects on vinyl pressings, so I wonder how long that
name continued to be used..I've also seen Speedy Q pressed on the flakiest
shellac imaginable.

dl