[78-L] Sharing sequence numbers between labels

Charles Bihun csintala79 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 1 19:03:36 PDT 2009

Harold,

Thanks for clearing this up.

ChuckB

________________________________
From: Harold Aherne <leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com>
To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2009 9:20:09 PM
Subject: Re: [78-L] Sharing sequence numbers between labels

I think it's very much easier to have a single catalogue number for each of the ARC
dime-store releases. Before 1935 there were separate numbers for Banner, Perfect,
Oriole, Romeo, and Melotone and some issues were probably cross-coupled.
*That's* a bigger headache!

Which leads me to ask something I'd been wondering: the three-part numbers were
universal for the ARC dime-store labels, I presume, but was everything *actually* released
on each label? Oriole and Romeo from the 1935-38 period are not easy to find, in my
experience, and that leads me to question whether everything that appeared on Melotone
really had a release on these more elusive makes. The problem is elided in discographies
by the convention of referring to one of these issues as "ARC 7-01-01", et al. That
*would* be the number if there was a Romeo or Oriole pressing, but I'm just curious
whether copies of each catalogue number under each label (or nearly so) are known.

-Harold