[78-L] In The Mood

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Aug 1 09:10:40 PDT 2009

From: agp <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> And on another version, there is of course the Bulawayo
> Sweet Rhythms Band version -- with the vocals translated
> as 'Wena buti lalela' in Zulu on the flip on Skokiaan.
> This one is my al time favourite cover case its so much fun!

It's not really a "cover" in the proper sense of the word as it was
originally defined and still used at the time of that recording.
Although the word has been bastardized in recent years, it really only
refers to alternate versions released at the time of the original hit
version(s).  Something like this done 12 to 15 years after the song was
a hit is really only another version, not a cover.  By your definition,
anytime another conductor and orchestra records Beethoven's Fifth
Symphony it is a cover.

> The 'six degrees (sort of) of seperation' here is that
> Louis Armstrong played with the Baltimore Bellhops, and
> may have played on their recording Hot and Anxious,
> which is quoted in In The Mood, which was covered by the
> Bulawayo Sweet Rhythms Band on the flip of Skokiaan,
> which was covered by Louis Armstrong who meet August
> Musarurwa of the Bulawayo Sweet Rhythms Band in 1960.  T

Another mish-mosh.  Why not just say "recorded"??  That's really all
they did.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com