[78-L] English Columbia Matrices

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jul 31 10:30:53 PDT 2009

From: "Damian R" <damian at geduk.plus.com>

From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
> The circled "C" and "W" usually preceded the matrix...and was
> also shown on the labels as a letter prefix.

That is a good point -- the location of the stamped circled W in the
shellac as separate from the rest of the matrix prefix is trumped by
what is on the label, which might also be what is in the ledger and
other company paperwork.  The use of the elecrical recording system
indicator as part of the matrix number prefix is controversial among
different discographers for many companies.  Indeed, the use of prefixes
at all is controversial.  I have spoken out before of my absolute hatred
of Brian Rust's avoidance of ALL Victor prefixes (except in the CED
where he apparently was overruled by Alan Debus).

Prefixes -- ALL prefixes -- are absolutely necessary including ALL
electrical system indicators.  They ARE discographically significant.
Rust has argued that prefixes are only necessary when the show the
location of the recording such as in ARC.  I say they are ALWAYS vital
in Victor because, for example, they tell the size in unissued
recordings.  And once they include year codes, the serial numbers are
reset each year, so the numbers mean nothing without the prefixes, just
like European company matrix numbers mean nothing without the recording
engineer identifying suffixes.

Include the W no matter where it is in the shellac.

> The "R" probably indicated "remote" (i.e. NOT recorded
> in company studio) as someone suggested.

Anybody have verification of this?  I hope it is not just a guess.
American broadcasters have used this term, but the British broadcasters
by that era used "O.B." meaning "outside broadcast."  (American
broadcasters also used "NEMO" instead of "remote", and guesswork legend
is that this meant "Not Eminating Main Origination" which I have never
seen in contemporary literature.)

> The "A" was the usual Columbia matrix prefix (to separate
> these from earlier all-number matrix numbers) and the
> "X" meant a 12" recording.  Steven C. Barr

Interesting about the X, because American Brunswick also used X as a
12-inch indicator, but put it first in the prefix, such as XC for
12-inch Chicago, and XE for 12-inch NYC electrical.  The X continued
thru ARC to Columbia into the LP era.  Who used X first?

Mr. X  mbiel at mbiel.com