[78-L] English Columbia Matrices

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jul 30 20:12:22 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Wade" <rwade1947 at comcast.net>
>I need some help in dating two English Columbia test pressings.  The
> matrix numbers are:
> RAX 2658
> RAX 2659
>
> I want to think they are from 1927 but I'm hoping someone on the list
> will know for certain.

In most cases, the first letter on UK Columbia matrix numbers was one which
designated the system used for recording: "W" was the Western Electric
system
(on which they had to pay per-disc royalties), and "C" was their own system
(which saved them the royalties)! I haven't run across any "R" numbers,
though.
IF we ignore this prefix letter, *AX2658/59 would date from late April 1927
(per my DG!).

Steven C. Barr