[78-L] Mike Seeger Gravely Ill

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jul 30 09:39:37 PDT 2009

From: Cary Ginell <soundthink at live.com>
> I met Mike at the ARSC Conference in Philadelphia
> a few years ago and was fortunate to have the chance
> to speak with him for about 10 minutes. Very humble,
> friendly, and receptive.

In addition to ARSC I had a chance to meet him several times at the
Appalachian Folk Festivals we used to have at my old Kentucky workplace,
Morehead State University.  I might have some videotape of him there.

> I think it is unfair to compare his value to music
> with that of his more famous half-brother, Pete.
> They had different kinds of influences in the same
> field and both are absolutely indispensable.  Cary Ginell

Especially considering the workshops and performances he did at
Morehead, as well as the NLCR, he was more involved in the traditional
mountain music than Pete is.  Mike's famous last name helped people
notice him, but being less prominent than Pete helped him travel around
and interact more personally with the ordinary folk like us.  We knew he
was a great talent, but there was less awe then there is when Pete shows
up, so the relating was easier.  I think he liked that.  Cary, could you
imagine the scene at ARSC if that had been Pete there?!

 Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: csintala79 at yahoo.com