[78-L] V-Disc - Vinyls/Shellacs.

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 30 08:30:18 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 2:21 PM, David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>wrote:

> To my knowledge, the only shellac V-Discs were the ones pressed by
> Columbia.
> Dumb decision, unless they just didn't have enough vinyl available..they
> certainly had it for transcriptions. Victor and Clark pressed on vinyl.
>
> dl

 Were the Columbia shellac discs laminated pressings?

Columbia V-Discs were laminated & very heavy.  According to the Sears book,
Columbia was reluctant to retool their pressing machines to handle vinyl.
But they must have done so right away for at least a few stampers, as I have
an early one, #55, pressed on vinyl by Columbia. Their vinyls have a
distinctly different appearance from the discs pressed by RCA, with a raised
edge (like the RCA "groove-guard" LPs of the 50s.)  Columbia pressed mostly
on shellac all through the war - the latest shellac V-Disc pressing catalog
number I have is in the high 500s.  RCA did most, if not all, of the later
pressings for the series.  There are also numerous V-discs pressed on a
styrene-type of vinyl, I think done by World.

Dave W.