[78-L] 'Modern' 78s.

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Jul 29 23:23:07 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Royal Pemberton" <ampex354 at gmail.com>
>> I have a Prom 78.  (It's 1128, 'Black denim trousers' by Frank Martin
>> 'with
>> the Prom Orchestra' b/w 'Only you (and you alone)' by Carter Farriss with
>> The Rockets and orchestra directed by Maury Laws.  Both labels state 'for
>> best results use LP needle'.)  I don't know if they made 10" discs on
>> styrene; mine is a 7" disc on the same sort of rough, noisy vinyl they
>> made
>> the Peter Pan 7" 78s on.

Okeh...I have a VERY odd Prom (or 1/2 Prom, anyway...?!) 78!

I have no idea WHY this was pressed...but it pairs (or claims to per its
labels...?!)
Prom 1001-B ("Cry" by the Enoch Light Brigade..."Featuring Loren Becker and
The Four Dukes") with Peter Pan 2252A ("The Little White Duck" by "The Peter
Pan Chorus and Orchestra"). Both companies claim to be located in Newark,
New Jersey...the Peter Pan credits "Synthetic Plastics" and the Prom side
"The
Prom Record Co.!"

I suspect both were being pressed by one company...although I have NO idea
why/how they managed to pair the two UNrelated sides...?!

Steven C. Barr