[78-L] Jan Savitt and vocalists

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 29 10:50:50 PDT 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> I love the Jan Savitt Orch and have a Savitt CD in the car which gets a lot
> of play as I drive around.  I told someone recently that I have on more than
> one occasion played his Decca version of 720 In The Books nine or ten times
> in a row...it is so damn cheery and uplifting for me!
>
> Some seem to object to his frequent use of the "shuffle rhythm" but I
> don't...and I don't get tired of it either.
>
> Also I've come to the conclusion that no other band of the 30s and 40s ever
> had TWO vocalists at one time  who together were as good as Carlotta Dale
> and Bon Bon.
>
> I've never heard Moonlight Serenade sung with such musical feeling as her
> version,  and I don't think anyone including Holiday or Sarah Vaughn or
> whoever else sang You Go To My Head any better.  She is surely the most
> under-rated band singer of the time.
>
> Bon bon on fast numbers can't be beat...and on stuff which on paper looks
> pretty doubtful ("Just A Kid Named Joe" for one example) he sings with great
> feeling and sense of time.  The first I ever heard of him was the  Savitt
> Bluebird of Tutti Fruitti and that hooked me good!
>
> Some might make a case that the two best singers in a band at one time were
> Sinatra and Stafford with Dorsey,  but Jo really didn't get that many
> chances to sing solo on record.
>
> I'd be interested in the thoughts of others about  Carlotta Dale and Bon
> Bon...and Savitt.
>
> Taylor
==============
Hear, hear, Taylor (except for Count Sinistre)!

Love the Savitt band. They were so well focused. Preferred them to
Lunceford.

I also like Harry Roberts's 'Litvakisms" on "Tutti Frutti". Note the
beautiful trombone choir at the start--they play part of the melody,
first, in perfect unison,  then slightly out of sync. This wasn't
sloppiness, because they repeat it. And nicely recorded.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4289 (20090729) __________

http://www.eset.com