[78-L] George Russell

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 29 00:26:39 PDT 2009

David Lewis wrote:

> No, this George Russell had nothing to do with Davy Crockett. He was an innovative and original jazz composer whose system for improvisation inspired Miles Davis' Kind of Blue; Russell composed the tune "All About Rosie." He was a native of Cincinnati.

> Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
==========
Yes, I knew which one was being referred to. I have his RCA, Riverside
and Decca LPs (except "New York, New York", the title of which suggested
to one reviewer at the time "A Tenement Symphony"). Apart from Al Kiger
and Dave Baker, and possibly Don Ellis, I thought his soloists weren't
that strong.

Nothing after about 1962 appeals to me, including his electronic stuff.

There's a nice CD on the Rare Live Recordings label, from various dates.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4286 (20090728) __________

http://www.eset.com