[78-L] Historic Masters.

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Jul 28 21:34:57 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Spats" <spats47 at ntlworld.com>
> I just bought the newest issue of Historic Masters.
> They're STILL pressing re-issues of old operatic 78s on vinyl from
> original metal parts.
>
> I wonder if anyone else is still pressing up 78s...what, 50 years
> before 78s went out of industrial production...

The difference is that "modern" 78's are vinyl...pressed as though they
were 10" vinyl LP's! There have been a number of "78's" pressed this
way since the sixties demise of shellac-based records. The most recent
commercial 78rpm records I have seen are in the UK series used for
radio production and the like; I have seen these with dates as late as
1966 (and don't know when their issue on 78rpm ceased?!)

Steven C. Barr