[78-L] Estimated Survival of Shellac 78s in 2109??

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Jul 28 21:26:33 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Apart from breakage, I haven't seen any evidence that 78s will ever
> disintegrate. Many of us have specimens dating from 1900 that are as
> playable
> today as ever, although I'd put my money on late 40s pressings being less
> durable than older ones.

Well, my 78's are not exactly "carefully stored"...they are in milk boxes,
in a
NON-air-conditioned (c.1869) house (although I DO have a dehumidifier
in the basement for the 78's kept down there!). Nonetheless, I have seen NO
evidence of deterioration in any of my many 78's! Shellac records CAN warp,
IF they are kept in temperatures of 120 F or so; however, if you find them
while they are still flexible (or can re-warm them into flexibility), they
are easy
to bend back to "flatness!"

Note that one CAN'T drop records...or even cause them to try to bend!
Applying any bending force to a shellac record will generally snap it in
two!
As well, they CANNOT remain in/under water for any length of time; the
shellac compound absorbs water, expands and the result is serious cracking!

Barring either possible fate, I would expect my 55,057(+/-) shellac 78's
to be fully playable by whomever owns them in 2109 (I DON'T expect
to live to be 167?!)...!

Steven C. Barr