[78-L] Estimated Survival of Shellac 78s in 2109??

umashankar umashanks at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 28 18:20:22 PDT 2009

i work in an archives here in india (hot and dry, hot and humid and extremely cold for a very short while) and i can tell you this. i have reel tapes going back to 1960s with no detectable loss. audio cassettes from 1980s like new. and vhs cassettes look like they will outlast them all. the secret? they are not played except to make copies once or twice in their lifetimes, and now for digitisation. and they have been kept and temperature and humidity controlled space since 1982.

my real ploblem is the players. the reel recorder is 15 years old. my vhs and and audio cassette players are even older. and there are no replacements!

umashankar
 i have published my poems. you can read (or buy) at http://stores.lulu.com/umashankar