[78-L] Same or similar

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Jul 27 22:01:08 PDT 2009

Found a bunch:

Sonny Boy Williamson (Bluebird) & Sonny Boy Williamson (Checker)

Jimmie Rodgers (Victor), Jimmie Rodgers (Roulette), and Jimmy Rogers (Chess)

Gene Autry and Gene Austin (well, I always get 'em mixed up...)

Blind Blake (Paramount) and Blind Blake (calypso singer)

Bill "Cowboy Rambler" Boyd (Bluebird) and Bill "Hopalong Cassidy" Boyd (children's 78s)

Jimmy Dean (4 Star, Mercury, Columbia) and Jimmie Dean (brother of Eddie) (ARC)

Pie Plant Pete (Claude Moye - ARC) and Rhubarb Red (Les Paul - Vocalion/Okeh/Decca/Capitol/Columbia)

Maddox Bros. & Rose (4 Star) and the Maddux Family (Decca)

Roy Rogers ("Happy Trails") and Roy Rogers (current blues slide guitarist)

Jean Shepard (Capitol country star) and Jean Shepherd (Elektra monologist)

Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith (MGM) and Fiddlin' Arthur Smith (Bluebird)

Tom Tall (Fabor) and Tom T. Hall (60s & 70s country artist)

Johnnie White (Fortune) and John White ('30s cowboy singer)

Bill Cox (Gennett/ARC) and Billy Cox (Brooklyn Dodgers third baseman - I can cheat once in a while, can't I?

Happy Jack Turner (Gennett/Decca) and Hobo Jack Turner (Ernest Hare - Diva, etc.)

Fiddlin' John Carson and Heeeeeeeeere's Johnny!

Henry "Red" Allen (jazz trumpeter) and Red Allen (bluegrass - MGM)

Bennie Moten (jazz trumpeter) and Benny Morton (jazz trombonist)

Charlie Parker ("Bird") and Charlie Parker ('20s country singer, Columbia)

Bill Haley ("Rock Around the Clock") and Bill Halley (wrote "Roll Along Kentucky Moon")

Sid King (rockabilly artist) and Syd Nathan (King Records)

Cary Ginell