[78-L] Edison DD on Victrola

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jul 27 09:44:56 PDT 2009

From: DAVID BURNHAM <burnhamd at rogers.com>
> A few days ago I sent a link to a youtube of an Edison DD played
> on a modified Victrola 10-50.  I didn't see any comments on it
> so I don't know if it was of interest to anyone or not.

I had made a comment about it before you posted your message.  I didn't
repost,

> What makes me curious is that the Orthophonic Credenza was reputed
> to have contained Victor's largest horn, (six feet) and was always
> used to demonstrate Orthophonic principals, ("Look for the Dog").
> The 10-50, however had an eight foot horn and was a much richer sounding machine.

I've seen it mentioned many places that the 10-50 had a bigger horn, but
using it requires having the complicated changer in working condition,
which is why the more common Credenza is usually used.

> I met a delightful gentleman over a year ago, Frank Tucker, who
> is known to some people on this list but curiously is not on the
> list himself.  I think that may be because his interests are more
> in the machines than records.  He had a completely rebuilt 10-50
> which he demonstrated for me and it had the richest sound I've
> ever heard from an acoustic Victrola, (in fact I thought it was
> an electric amplifier and speaker but he assured me it was not).

There were Orthophonics which did have an electrical system feeding the
horn -- but not this one.

> Getting back to the Edison DD, when I attended the RCA centenial
> event a few weeks ago, there was a Victrola at the entrance to
> the Victor Pub in which the event took place.  This Victrola
> belonged to the pub and it had a Brunswick style Ultona arm on it,
> which allowed it to play Edison, Pathe and regular disc records.
> I don't know whether this was a modification or if Victor built
> machines with this arm, "Look for the Dog" doesn't mention any
> machines including this arm.   db

It obviously was an aftermarket modification.  But it is too bad that
this non-pedigreed mongrel machine is the one in the historic building!
Nipper wouldn't approve.  Grrrrrr.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com