[78-L] Price's Price

Malcolm Smith malcolms at redshift.com
Mon Jul 27 08:30:44 PDT 2009

This opens the door on a sad part of the history. Yes, it was Europe,
especially France, where most of the early interest in jazz and jazz
records occurred. There are many on this list who are more familiar
with the history than I am and I hope they will add to what I have
too say. One simply needs to note the way black musicians were
treated in France and the number of them who ended up there and why
wouldn't they! I will never forget meeting Lil Hardin in Paris in the
early fifties, A fascinating wonderful pianist and singer. She was
the pianist in the original Creole Band. One can't do any better than
that!  She was greatly respected in Paris unlike here.  Sadly, there
is very little in the way of early records of jazz, and what there is
is usually recorded with old worn equipment that had been used to
record white musicians. We should have records going all the way back
to Bolden but don't. Little interest in the first quarter of the last
century was shown until a brief revival brought about by the
discovery of Bunk Johnson in the early forties. Very sad history and
musically a terrible loss.

Malcolm Smith